Saturday, June 28, 2014

The Humidity Always Wins


So, in the endless war against dust bunnies and silverfish, I proclaimed a small victory today. Another bookcase was successfully cleared off and re-organized. This one is dedicated to books that I've picked up over the last few years, but haven't read yet. I decided to alphabetize them by title to provide a bit of variety as I make my way through the shelves this year.




Like most bookish types, I like to decorate my shelves with random things that I've picked up in my travels. Or that people have given me to encourage my lack of decorative aesthetic.




The other problem is that some of the cheaper books were starting to fall apart due to the humidity. Also, some of the newer plastic toys were developing a weird sticky surface layer. Such is life without air conditioning. I tossed out a few of the books that had started to detach from the spines, but the worst loss was my 1980s Pac-Man mini arcade game. 




I didn't even bother dusting it for the photo. The labels just started discoloring this year. It worked the last time I stuck batteries in it, but it just looks terrible now, and I'll probably toss it. This is why working class people can't have nice things. sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment