Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Walk Down Broadway

It was nice and cool today, plus that "sun" thing that I'm always hearing about was out in the sky, so the wife and I went for a walk down broadway.

We ended up making a browsing stop at the Broadway Antique Market. I often buy comic books and weird old cooking pamphlets here. I didn't buy anything today, but I did notice the increasing amount of items from my 1970s childhood that are becoming "antiques." It seems really weird that there would be a demand for, say, a plastic burnt orange clock radio. I must finally be old enough that there is a generation of younger folk that don't have any context for this stuff.

Postcard of Pakan Furniture, 6130 N Broadway
from Chicago History in Postcards

The Market itself is in a fairly intact 1940s retail building. Near the main entrance there's even a neat curvy stairway that leads to the upper showroom. If you wander up and down Broadway, you'll discover all kind of remnants of retail past, from ghost signs for "undertakers" to disused neon advertising.


granville clock
Granville & Broadway (built in 1925)

After looking at things that we can't afford, we wandered over to Lickety Split. It's a modern version of something that rarely exists: the corner ice cream parlor. They have a great selection of British candy, and nifty vintage fixtures to display all the "retro" brands that are still around. I always feel bad lately about spending money on something I don't really need, but cheap guilty pleasures are better than none.

After having too many Caramello's, I went over to the Green Element Resale shop. And that's where I went a little crazy.

pile of vintage mail
you could say I went postal (rimshot)

I purchased a garbage-bag's worth of correspondence, some of it dating back to the 1950s. I bought all this for the stamps and ephemera, but I also have someone's life story. Lovers and friends, foreign postcards and professional letters, 60 years of someone's life all gathered up and left in a thrift store. And I guess that's today's lesson. Even our words won't outlast us.




No comments:

Post a Comment